In this context, our behaviors, attitudes and personal qualities are put on pression and our technical competencies and expertise are not necessarily helping to cope.
On the other side of the coin of success there are soft skills.
What are soft skills?
It’s a set of noncognitive skills, mainly people skills, that enable to perform well, achieve goals, work well with others and effectively navigate your environment.
“The skills, abilities, and traits that pertain to personality, attitudes, and behavior rather than to formal and technical knowledge” Moss and Tilly, 1996
There are numerous ways to categorize them but let’s say that they cover these 5 main areas:
- Communication and interpersonal competencies
- Strategic thinking and imagination
- 5. Learning agility
Why are soft skills best tools to develop for entrepreneurs?
For some time, they were not considered important because it’s difficult to assess their level of realization and to appropriate the success of a project or a business to soft skills.
But, if we take the metaphor of the iceberg and the well know iceberg story of entrepreneurs “what people see, what people don’t see” it’s similar with hard skills and soft skills.
Let’s have a look at different soft skills for entrepreneurs.
As an antidote to this VUCA world, the invitation of this phase we are in could be to turn it into a leadership journey and make it a self-discovery journey from inside out.
- Volatility > Vision, for your future
- Uncertainty > Understanding, yourself, the others
- Complexity > Clarity, on your goals
- Ambiguity > Agility, on the way to move forward
Tell me about you
- What is the soft skill you like the most, the talent you embody?
- What’s the biggest soft skills you miss today in your life?
- Which one do you fear the most?
- Which one you would like to learn ?